Intro and What I've Read So Far in April
I hope to update this about twice a month or so with thoughts about what I've recently read, just to get back into writing a little bit! I wrote fiction in high school (short stories) and wrote a lot in college as an English major, but the past 10 years or so I really haven't written more than grocery lists and emails. I'm hoping to ease back into it to hopefully find some of joy in writing again. I also plan to share posts on coffee shops I visit and hikes I take with my partner and son. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I would rather write a blog and put it on the internet than in a journal in case someone ends up connecting to anything I write about. I'm definitely introverted and fairly private, but I think this is something I can do that's slightly out of my normal comfort zone. I always want to know about walks and hikes that are accessible and fun with a toddler, as well as the best places to find a latte. Perhaps others do too. And lately my Googling for these things has been coming up short. So why not try to put what I'm looking for out there?
I also have been reading a lot more this year, and I miss talking about books. At least writing this is a start (maybe a real live book club is next!). This month my reading list has come about primarily due to books on my library hold list rapidly becoming available. And finally finishing Dune. I've been slogging through that one since early March. Yikes.
Transcendent Kingdom by Yaa Gyasi

I think this novel is very well written and worth reading, but it is very different than the author's first book, Homegoing. I adore that one. I didn't read anything about the plot before diving into this, so I think my expectations were just off. It was harder for me to get into, perhaps due to the contemporary setting and some topics I found challenging (including drug addiction/overdose, specific details about scientific research using animals, and severe depression). Aspects I enjoyed: the focus on an African immigrant experience in the U.S. and the conversations around religion/faith. I'm thinking I might not like contemporary literary fiction as much as I previously assumed, or perhaps those heavy realistic topics are just not for me right now.
The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman
This is a fun one, although leans a bit more towards fantasy than I usually like. I'm not typically into the vampire/werewolf/magic fantasy books beyond Harry Potter and Chronicles of Narnia. I do love books about books though, as well as an adventure story, which I think this encompasses (librarians traveling between alternate worlds to find copies of rare books!). I am currently reading #2 in the series, so I was intrigued enough to see where it goes. And with all the books I've been reading this year, it feels good to try one that's outside of my more typical and favored genres and explore something new.
The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers
I feel like this is a sci-fi book for people who aren't sure they like the genre, but are willing to dip their toes in. Approachable sci-fi, if you will. It has aliens and space and some made-up words/concepts like most sci-fi, but at its heart it's really a book about relationships, family, and respecting cultural/racial/identity differences. All of that is wonderful, and I thought some of the alien culture was very clever and interesting. I liked it. I enjoyed reading it. I may even read book #2 in the series. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it if you love speculative fiction or "harder" sci-fi, but if you want to try some sci-fi and ease in, it's worth it! I think I would have absolutely loved it as a teenager, and I think someone who enjoys contemporary romantic comedy or YA would like this one too. It's not YA, but it has that flavor.
Dune by Frank Herbert
I really really did not like this book. Surprising, because I love science fiction and a few people I know recommended I read it, but... I'm not sure if it's his narrative style, character development (or lack thereof), or the sudden time jumps, I could not enjoy reading this book. Maybe it's because I loved Star Wars first (it's easy to see where the inspiration for many details in those films came from reading this book). Anyway, my experience with this novel was rough. I struggled to finish it, but I limped to the end. I would love to know what people like about it. Truly. A for imagination, F for execution in my opinion. I actually gave this one star on Goodreads because it annoyed me so much. One of my least favorite books. I am looking forward to the movie though, perhaps that will allow me to appreciate the book at little more.
Code Name Hélène by Ariel Lawhon
After reading The Alice Network last month and being disappointed, I was hesitant to read another WWII novel about a female spy, but I surprised at how much more I enjoyed this one. I didn't realise until reading the author's note at the end that it is based on a real woman's experiences; Nancy Wake was quite the war hero, and it's a shame I had never even heard of her until reading this book. I think this would be a great one to discuss in a book club (I would love to know what others think about the author's decision to structure the narration and timeline in a particular way, for example). The characters were alive and vibrant, and the love story was beautiful. Overall a solid read with a lot of forward momentum. I would recommend if you enjoy historical fiction, or enjoy reading about a fascinating life!
Currently reading: The Masked City (The Invisible Library #2) by Genevieve Cogman and The Art of Taking it Easy: How to Cope with Bears, Traffic, and the Rest of Life's Stressors by Brian King
Until next time,
Emma




Comments
Post a Comment